There seems to be quite a lot of uncertainty about the technical nature of Swine Flu (H1N1) vaccines.
As a medical doctor, I wish to clarify a number of important issues: First, we should talk about vaccines instead of vaccine, since the vaccines vary as for their compositions and even their ways of being dispensed: some by injection, another by the nose.
I think the fears as for the vaccines can be referred to:
1. the adjuvants – in particular squalene which was in all probability responsible for the Gulf War syndrome,
2. the virus antigen´s condition (dead, attenuated, live)
3. a deeply rooted mistrust in our politicians and the vaccine producers´ motives and morals: e.g. Baxter´s live bird flu virus last Winter (12), the Bayer AIDS haemophiliac product scandal (15).
First it is necessary to understand, that pandemic vaccines are made according to two procedures:
1. The Developement of a totally new vaccine from scratch. This takes more time, administration and testing than mock up vaccines (see below).
2. A Mock-up vaccine is a vaccine with all the adjuvants of the pandemic vaccine – but without the killed or attenuated pandemic virus. (1) This virus is – until the pandemic virus is known – a different, attenuated known potentially pandemic virus, in the case of the Pandemrix vaccine for the EU it is an attenuated H5N1 bird flu virus. This is the mock-up vaccine. When the nature of the pandemic swine flu virus (H1N1) is known, it replaces the H5N1 virus in an attenuated form, the adjuvants being left unchanged.